Given that it's Pet Health Insurance Month this month, I asked Dr Patrick to interview me about pet insurance, asking all the questions he's wondered about from his role as a veterinarian focused on integrative medicine.
Here are some of the questions he asks me in the recording below:
- What percentage or number of pet owners in the US have insurance for their pet?
- What are the top canine and feline health claims?
- What is the main reason pet owners pursue health insurance for their cat or dog?
- Does the typical Embraced pet owner keep their pet on Embrace's pet insurance throughout the pet's life?
- Does Embrace cover any pre-existing conditions?
- Does Embrace cover any complementary and alternative medicine, such as acupuncture, physical therapy, chiropractic, and so on
- plus discussion on medical history reviews and pre-certifications amongst other things
The answers to these questions and more are discussed in the audio below.
[btw, sorry about the occasional whistling sound coming through the recording - the ambient noise where Patrick was was a bit noisier than we had expected]
September is Pet Health Insurance Month
"Wish I'd had pet insurance" story - painful choice to euthanize
"Wish I'd had pet insurance" story - close encounter with dental floss
Guest Post: can I get pet insurance for that?
"Wish I'd had pet insurance" story - vet techs need pet insurance too!
Guest Post: Pet Insurance Q&A from Dr Patrick Mahaney
"So Glad I had Pet Insurance" story - hip dysplasia surgery for 1 year old German Coolie
"So Glad I had Pet Insurance" story - surgery for vicious dog attack
"So Glad I Had Pet Insurance" story - cats and lilies do not mix
Other posts by Dr Patrick Mahaney
Dr. Mahaney is a veterinarian from the University of Pennsylvania and a Certified Veterinary Acupuncturist, having been inspired by his own chronic pain from Intervertebral Disc Disease to provide accupuncture to his veterinary clients. In addition to Dr Mahaney's house call integrative veterinary medicine business, California Pet Acupuncture and Wellness, he sees patients on an in-clinic basis at Veterinary Cancer Group in Culver City, CA.
Dr Mahaney writes a veterinary column (Patrick's Blog) for www.PatrickMahaney.com and contributes to a variety of media, including Perez Hilton's TeddyHilton.com, Fido Friendly, Veterinary Practice News, Healthy Pets and People with Dr Patrick on OutImpactRadio.com, and MSNBC Sunday with Alex Witt and Career Day. His first book, The Uncomfortable Vet, will be available in 2012 through Havenhurst Books