Dr Patrick and I talk about pet health and we kick things off by going over Dr Patrick's top three things a pet owner can do to maximize her pet’s health.
We also discuss the following questions:
- Jenny: perhaps Dr Patrick could give us more information on reverse sneezing? I was at a clinic the other day where a client came in as an emergency because he didn't know what was happening. I know how scary it can be if a client is not familiar with this.
- Laura: do we need to worry about our pets’ mental health? We often talk about their physical health but do we need to worry about their mental health as well?
- Krystal: which vaccines are necessary for older fully vaccinated pets. She says “I used to get this a lot from clients. There's a lot of controversy on if it's necessary due to fibrosarcomas.”
- Darcy: her new cat, Mr. Meow Meow, does not drink water unless she mixes his wet food with water and make it soup. As a result, he actually drinks a lot of water. How does she know if she’s giving him TOO MUCH water? Is that even possible?
- Jenny: what do we need to know about anal glands? Too many people "ignore" scooting and don't understand how much of a problem this can become if not cared for.
- Laura: how can you tell if your cat isn’t in as good health as he/she should be? Cats don’t often tell us they are sick but there must be some signs that we might not notice as lay people that are important.
Click on the link below to hear the audio:
Laura Bennett & Dr Patrick Mahaney pet health 2014
April is Pet Health Month at Embrace Pet Insurance
Guest Post: We Miss the Cats
Podcast: Dr Patrick Mahaney talks on maximizing your pet's overall health
Dr. Mahaney is a veterinarian from the University of Pennsylvania and a Certified Veterinary Acupuncturist, having been inspired by his own chronic pain from Intervertebral Disc Disease to provide accupuncture to his veterinary clients. In addition to Dr Mahaney's house call integrative veterinary medicine business, California Pet Acupuncture and Wellness, he sees patients on an in-clinic basis at Veterinary Cancer Group in Culver City, CA. Dr Mahaney writes a veterinary column (Patrick's Blog) forwww.PatrickMahaney.com and contributes to a variety of media, including Perez Hilton's TeddyHilton.com, Fido Friendly, Veterinary Practice News, Healthy Pets and People with Dr Patrick on OutImpactRadio.com, and MSNBC Sunday with Alex Witt and Career Day. His first book, The Uncomfortable Vet, will be available in 2014 through Havenhurst Books